42

Click this.

This makes it my 42nd post on this blag; and to commemorate the occasion, I've decided to share information about someone I respect a lot. He was a genius in his own right. He could turn entire radio plays into books. He envisioned a future where the quirkiness of human nature would eventually overcome the vestiges of sanity borne today. He wrote on topics far and wide and also penned five books in a trilogy of four. He also happens to be my favorite author.

Douglas Noël Adams, an English writer lived between March 1952 and May 2001. I heard of his most famous creation for the first time during an IIT-foundation class. It took me 4 years to get a copy of a book and subsequently worship him. Those of you that have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would notice his influences on my work (with the other major influence being Jonathan Stroud). His ability to bring humour (At least within the reaches of this article, I'll stick to British spelling :D ) to the most disconnected of circumstances is unparalleled. Sample this:

"You may not instantly see why I bring the subject up, but that is because my mind works so phenomenally fast, and I am at a rough estimate thirty billion times more intelligent than you. Let me give you an example. Think of a number, any number."
"Er, five," said the mattress.
"Wrong," said Marvin. "You see?"
The mattress was much impressed by this and realized that it was in the presence of a not unremarkable mind.


While it does not have much by way of plot, the Hitchhiker's series is one of the best pieces of science fiction that non-geeks would read. The heady mix of satire, wit and cynicism is rare (if not absent) in sci-fi, which is composed of more serious stories, with humour being the garnishing.

Adams' passing was sudden and was mourned by fans around the world. Hackers at MIT left messages on their great dome. Posts called for (and eventually established) Towel Day - a day to pay tribute to the author and his works. Fellow writers still speak fondly of the man he was.

There are some books you read. There are some you read and share. There are also the tiny few that you cherish and try to emulate.

As the MIT hackers put it; So long, and thanks for all the wit.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be mean ^_^;