At the end of the rainbow

A happy, love filled article to launch my new not-so-gaily designed blag :D

Activists in India went wild today as news leaked out of the High Court ruling to decriminalize homosexuality - less than a week after the 40th Stonewall anniversary. It seems like the recent pride parades (which also saw some sad attempts at translation to appeal to the locals) garnering the support of 2,000 people have worked their magic. Barely a day after our prime minister called for better understanding and treatment of the community, the landmark ruling breaks the law of 150 years that was yet another hand-me-down from the Brits.

I was happy to read news about the judgement. I'm not gay, mind you. But I do have friends that possibly are and it would be nice to see some out of the closet. At the same time, I also have friends that aren't comfortable with homosexuality and find it as unnatural as a spider monkey in a Russian swimming pool. The week ahead is going to be fun with hundreds of people posting (like me) about whether or not this decision is a step forward. The ones that disagree seem to have some divine voices on their side - The first voice of dissent was from India's Catholic Bishops. Even though they did not challenge the ruling, they classified the behaviour inethical, unnatural and immoral. The head cleric of the Jama Masjid followed suit saying they would not accept any such law. Quite bold about it. What surprised me the most was that the BJP, which showed its displeasure at the parades, remained silent. That too with a law changed by the UPA. Is the saffron party finally showing some signs of growing up? As much as I would like to believe that, it is probably their news feed running a little late and missing this entry.

You can read BBC's article here.

As icing on the cake, I got to modify Wiki's page on the Indian parades and add the details of the ruling apart from modifying some of the lines (which conveniently missed the Chennai part of the parade). And this time, I had my references ready. Me 1 - Wiki 0.

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be mean ^_^;